An Immersive Story Experience
Journeys is a live, interactive storytelling event that brings your brand to life. Designed by storyteller and story coach Jay Golden of Wakingstar Storyworks, Journeys is a tried and tested experiential communications and training platform designed to help participants recognize insights, share impacts, and explore new territories through an unforgettable, in-depth, immersive storytelling experience.
At the end of the event, participants see themselves as a part of a shared journey. They are more informed on key challenges and messages, more seasoned as storytellers, and more connected as a group. Journeys brings your most important stories to life – stories that will reverberate outwards in the days and weeks that follow, in memory, through video, and through personal retellings.
WHY JOURNEYS STORYTELLING?
• Too often, we forget powerpoint slides and data – but we remember stories.
• Sharing stories is up to 22 times more effective than sharing data (Chip and Dan Heath, Made to Stick).
• Everyone participates, everyone connects, and everyone benefits.
• Stories can make your origins more accessible, your impacts more memorable and your visions more lively.
Stories are the perfect way to build alignment and context around your values and accomplishments.
• Journeys strengthens the fabric of your culture.
• Connect with your organization’s values and accomplishments as never before
• Learn how to talk about your work in an inspiring, memorable way
• Understand what makes up a good story and how to find and tell your own
• Gain media-ready key stories from leadership and team members through pre-event presentation coaching
• Connect with fellow attendees and team members on a deeper, more visceral level
• See the many stories that build the organization as a whole
• Have fun!
HOW IT WORKS
• We begin by clarifying your goals and developing your theme and sub-themes for the day.
• We work with you to clarify your goals and develop your theme and sub-themes for the day.
• Through a series of 2-3 hour-long sessions with each selected speaker, we find and shape the stories for the event.
• If so desired, we interview additional leadership and design a core story to present at the event.
• We create a workbook for the event, complete with story tips and summarized talking points of each planned story.
• We deliver an experience that includes curated leadership stories, inspiring and educational frameworks and teachings, practices and exercises to connect audience members more deeply and authentically to one another.
• Management training
• Capacity building
• Community building
• Leadership transitions
Journeys began as a storytelling show hosted by Jay Golden in a warehouse in the Mission in June of 2001. The framework was simple: share the key stories of our lives – the ones that give us meaning, reveal our lessons, and most deeply connect us to one another. Then, weave in some music, and get the audience telling stories as well, to one another, and to the group, in order to create an immersive experience that will be remembered.
Journeys has since grown into a series of packed-house performance experiences in Berkeley’s Goldman Theater. In 2009, Jay co-founded Wakingstar Storyworks, a story coaching and design company that crafts stories, coaches leaders, and trains teams from such such organizations as Facebook, YouTube, Rainforest Action Network, Esalen Institute, and the Environmental Defense Fund.
COMMENTS FROM PAST JOURNEYS SHOWS AND WORKING WITH JAY
“I learned a tremendous amount about the power of stories, and about some cool new people. During the time I spent thinking about my aha moment and working with you on the story, I also learned a lot about myself.”
-Maya Chorengel, Journeys Participant, Founder and Managing Director, Elevar Equity
“Not only was Jay able to make me a far better story-teller, he was able to make me a far better presenter by helping me shape my presentations to more effectively meet the needs of each client. I’ve come to rely on his wisdom, insight, and his ability to see both the big picture and the small details that make a presentation soar.”
-Maddy Dychtwald, SVP, Agewave, Keynote Speaker, Author
“I went to a TEDx a few days before I attended Journeys. I thought Journeys was much more interesting, and much more connecting.”
-Sandie Dorman, Attendee, Board Member, Adversity2Advocacy