Core Story Design
YOUR CORE STORY IS BEING TOLD…
But right now, it is broken up into too many pieces. And too often, your founder tells one part of it, your director tells another, your teammates write another – and yet they all seem disconnected. Our work is designed to craft the stories that are alive at the center of your organization, connecting the many parts of what you do – and why – in a clear, retellable fashion.
We use a five-step process:
1. Intake. We research your current narrative from many angles, and identify your key messages, goals audiences, and outputs. This way we arrive at your door with the makings of some stories already bubbling up. We interview key stakeholders about the organization, looking for insights, ideas, anecdotes, and stories in order to understand where you come from, what you do, and where you’re going.
2. Distill. We begin to distill moments into a small collection of essential stories. We often begin with the origin story, which often holds the DNA of your organization, and then search for your impacts and your vision, retelling what we find. Along the way, we create a Story Manual, which will include key findings, stakeholder insights, messages, your story in various formats. We’ll explain how your story connects to your PR, Social Media, video, and executive communications, and provide an explanation of story hurdles and how to get through them.
3. Iterate. We iterate things early and often, Through this highly collaborative and highly focused process, everyone feels heard, and nothing comes out of left field. We tell the stories to you, and have you retell them back to us. This helps us make sure we’ve gotten to the essence of the story and that each one resonates.
4. Design. As we go, we shape your core story, the one that connects all of your stories. Based on feedback on the story, we revise until the version is ready to deliver.
5. Share. We make sure that you can tell the story, and we deliver a Story Manual that will both help you, your team, and your future team members to quickly comprehend the story in it’s many iterations. As needed, we socialize the story by coaching various team members to tell the story in a personal and connected way as related to the work they do.
We loved working with you on our core story…and you helped me personally understand how to use stories and see them everywhere in my life.
–Terri Ludwig, CEO and President, Enterprise Community Partners