Core Story Design
THE STORY THAT HOLDS IT ALL TOGETHER
Too often, your founder tells one story, your director tells another, your teammates write another – and they all seem disconnected. So how can you find a story that everyone can tell?
We use a five-step process:
1. Study. We research your current narrative from many angles, and identify your key messages, goals audiences, and outputs. This way we arrive at your door with the makings of some stories already bubbling up.
2. Listen. We listen to key stakeholders as they talk about the organization, exploring ideas, anecdotes, and stories in order to understand where you come from, what you do, and where you’re going. We may record these in audio or video, depending on your desired outcomes.
3. Iterate. We iterate things early and often, and begin to gather a collection of 5-7 essential stories. We often begin with the origin story, which often holds the DNA of your organization, and then search for your impacts and your vision, retelling what we find. Through this highly collaborative and highly focused process, everyone feels heard, and nothing comes out of left field.
4. Retell. We tell the stories to you, and have you retell them back to us. This helps us make sure we’ve gotten to the essence of the story and that each one resonates. As we go, we shape your core story, the one that connects all of your stories.
5. Deliver. We provide the stories and core concepts in the formats most useful, through writing, video and/or in NPR-quality Storycasts. We create immersive storytelling events that bring your stories to life, and trainings that embeds the stories in the mind of your team.
We think you guys are brilliant! We loved working with you on our core story…and you helped me personally understand how to use stories and see them everywhere in my life.
–Terri Ludwig, CEO and President, Enterprise Community Partners